Saturday, June 18, 2011

A Picnic Quilt

I have been collecting vintage sheets for a while now, with the idea that I could use them to make simple picnic quilts. I wanted to keep the piecing of the quilt tops simple enough that it wouldn't make me too anxious to actually use them.

This quilt is big - 75" x 75", made up of 25 15" blocks. This quilt is perfect for lying on the beach and has plenty of room for a lot of friends, but it is really big. Next time, I will definitely make the blocks smaller so the finished quilt is closer to 60" square. That seems a more manageable size.

After I bind it, I am going to play around with making a carrier for it that involves velcro and a shoulder strap.

The yellows in the prints came out a little muted. Once this baby is finished, I will do a proper photo shoot outside.

3 comments:

jess said...

So great!! I love the colors. And I would love to lay on it next to you and your family! miss you! xoxo

Harry said...

Bigger is better when it comes to picnic quilts!

Shah Sazib said...

Wonderful quilt for picnic! I found another fabric store which is Broadway Fabrics.