Sunday, February 08, 2009

I finally did it!

I am so happy! My awesome sofa was in desperate need of some recovering attention. It is 6 years old and had seen better days. It was sun damaged, stained and generally abused. The sofa frame was also scratched and worn, mostly from my evil, but so cute cat.

Here is a Before picture - it doesn't look too bad but that is because you can't see it too closely.


And here it is in all of it's finished glory!

I found the fabric online, actually from a link in my gmail account. I purposefully found very inexpensive fabric; it was about $5 a yard. I have never recovered a large piece of furniture and knew that it could go very bad and I didn't want to waste a lot of money if things didn't end well.

The whole thing was way easier than I expected. I did the cushions a couple of weeks ago and they worked out pretty well. I had a little trouble with the round corners of the seat cushions but they came out ok in the end.

As for the frame, I draped the fabric over the back and the sides and pinned in to the couch. I then basted the pieces together inside out to get the snug fit. I took the cover off, sewed over the basted stitching on my machine, flipped it right side out and checked the fit. It only took a couple of hours and I didn't cry at all.

In a fit of productivity, I also recovered a cushion with the white and brown geometric print to tie in the bench I recovered a while ago. All in all, I am a very happy gal.

4 comments:

Rebekah said...

Your couch looks amazing! I love the color of the fabric that you chose and the custom fitting over the sides. Those pillows look so great with everything too! Congratulations on finishing another project on your list.

I'm drooling over your bookshelves :)

Anonymous said...

The couch looks fantastic - great job. And I love the pillows. I was thinking the same thing as Rebekah - love the bookshelves :-)
Hope you guys are settling back in good!

donnette fever said...

NON VEDIAMO L'ORA DI PROVARLO!!!
... NUOVO LAVORO PER NIMBUS...
BACI ELISA E ALFONSO

Anonymous said...

It looks so great! How can a girl get a pillow like the one on the right...